Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
He discusses What is CareerCamp?, how it might be used in your organization and takes you through an example of a Day at CareerCamp.
What is CareerCamp and Career Camp International?
CareerCamp is a community organized, career-focused, unconference which calls upon local communities and people to share their knowledge, expertise and other important information on developing yourself and your career.
What is an unconference?
Unconferences are self-organizing conferences, similar to many professional conferences, but instead of hiring well-known, professional speakers, they call on the attendees themselves to provide the content and focus for the event. Every person who attends is highly encouraged to present on some topic deeply important to them or, barring that, to facilitate an open breakout session or round table discussion or even just to engage and converse with their fellow attendees between presentations. A few organizers band together to find a venue for the event, recruit sponsors and invite attendees, but the focus of the unconference is driven solely by the attendees.
Some might question the usefulness of presentations by their peers, but we have found that there is an enormous amount of real-world expertise available in each and every local community. CareerCamp utilizes a format that draws out that expertise and benefits everyone. CareerCamp (and other unconferences) provide a structure and an opportunity to share this expertise in ways that traditional conferences do not. Additionally, CareerCamps also attract career development professionals who can use CareerCamp as a way of introducing themselves to a new audience of potential clients.
How was CareerCamp developed?
The genesis of CareerCamp was found by attending BarCamp unconferences held around the world. CareerCamp founder, Douglas E. Welch, was a long time attendee of BarCamp, which is an event that embraces any topic, although it often leans toward technology. After seeing the success of BarCamp as a way to illuminate and educate within a community, Welch applied the unconference concept to the specific world of Career Development.
For more information, visit:
It’s Your Career, After All with Douglas E. Welch – Presented at CareerCampSCV 2014
Douglas E. Welch, writer/host of Career Opportunities and Founder of CareerCamp International speak at CareerCampSCV (Santa Clarita Valley) on July 12 2014. (Title card states 2013, but this is an typographical error)
“Your career isn’t about the externals of resumes, interviews, suits and ties, it is about the internal issues of your wants, needs and desires. You need to know what you want out of your career and then take the actions and make the decisions necessary to get there. If you don’t manage your own career, there are plenty of people who will gladly do it for you. Don’t let your career happen to you, though.”
Also mentioned in this talk, is Career Compass, FInding Your Career North. You can watch an entire talk on Career Compass, from a previous CareercampSCV, sample and buy the Career Compass book or read the original Career Opportunties column, Career Compass.
Douglas is writer and host of Career Opportunities, a long running column and podcast dedicated to “Helping to Build the Career You Deserve!” Career Opportunities began in 1997 as a magazine column and expanded to a podcast in 2004. Douglas is also a New Media Consultant, Technology and Career Consultant with over 30 years experience in high-tech. You can find all of Douglas’ work at DouglasEWelch.com.
Douglas E. Welch, Founder of CareerCamp, presents “Smartphones and Your Career” (51 mins) at CareerCampSCV (Santa Clarita Valley) 2013. For more information, visit CareerCampSCV, CareerCamp International and DouglasEWelch.com.
Here is the complete list of presentations and discussion groups from CareerCampSCV (Santa Clarita Valley) 2013.
- How to get focus and get results, Networking to your job with Jeffery Tyler
- Transferable skills. Empowering yourself
- No Linkedin = No job with Jeffery Tyler
- Rethink. Refocus, Reinvent with Jennifer Oliver O’Connell
- Taxes and you
- How to get the job you want now! with Keri Aaver
- 10 things to do while you’re looking wtih Jennifer Oliver O’Connell
- How can a hobby expand your career path? with Lynn O’connell
- Google-Fu search Engine Skills
- Resumes – Tips and suggestions
- Is academia for you? with Dr. Rosanne Welch
- Catching them with your cover letter with Dr. Rosanne Welch
- Mourning your last career in order to celebrate your new one with Dr. Rosanne Welch
- Smartphones and your career with Douglas E. Welch
- How to speed up your job search! with Keri Aaver
- Re-entering job market after long time not working
- Networking long distance planning to relocate?
- Interviewing techniques Discussion
- Social media and you career: a discussion with Douglas E. Welch
The schedule for each CareerCamp is decided onsite during the opening session the day of the event, but as people register offer up the topics which they are planning to present. These topics often merge or expand due to the nature of an unconference, but here is what some attendees are going to be discussing when CareerCampSCV convenes on Saturday, July 14, 2012.
Planned/Proposed Presentations for CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass: Finding Your Career North – Discovering what work you truly want to do in your career
- Social Media and Your Career
- What is a resume for?
- Interview Power: Competence, Confidence and Value
- Are we the total sum of our parts?
- Career Branding and YOU
- Building an Enduring Career Reputation
- Blogging Effectively
- Interviews, preparing for and or resume writing
- Marketing yourself during a job search
- The Power of Your Transferable Skills
- Tapping into your network
- Marketing Yourself on Social Media
- 21st Century Blogging
- Get a job!
- A Career in Customer Service
- …and much, much more!
Dale Berry presents “Tools for Negotiating Change” at CareerCampSCV (Santa Clarita Valley) on July 10, 2010.
Download “Tools for Negotiating Change with Dale Berry” – iPod Ready Video
Bryan Cunningham presents “Secrets a Recruiter Won’t Tell You” at CareerCampSCV on July 10, 2010